Saturday, June 5, 2010

Walking Down Memory Lane

I made apricot jam today. As I was putting the jam into the jars, I noticed that the jars were the ones my Memom gave me.
Memom had canned in those jars for many yrs, mostly pickles and saurkraut, since they were pints. Some of the jars have the Anchor Hocking emblem on them, some Atlas, some Kerr. I even have some of the blue Mason quart jars in my basement. She gave them to me soon after I got married and she was ready to give up canning.

We use to live close to Memom. Mom and I would work side by side with Memom in the garden, planting, weeding and picking. We worked together as we peeled cucumbers, snapped green beans, peeled and sliced peaches, skinned tomatoes,etc.
I remember being hot and sweaty, and complaining about it, like I was the only one that minded it. I don't know how they put up with my whining:( Memom would just look at me over the top of her glasses and keep on working.

Funny, I think the things canned in those old jars taste better than things canned in the newer jars I bought. Those old jars certainly have held up better than the newer ones. I have never had one of them break during the canning process. Must be all that love from yrs of canning that make them more rugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment