Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Being Firm Can be Tough

With all the extra doctor appointments lately I have been lax on enforcing the rules of our house. This has led to some chaos, and we are all having to pay the price.
We have a routine and we have a chore chart. Everyone knows what is required of them, whether Mom is standing over them or not. Lately, the chores have been done without enthusiasm and haphazardly. This does not work in a large family. We have also encountered bickering about chores. Yikes!

So, I have had to make some new rules and become firm when enforcing them.

I told my older children it was fine if they did not want to do their chores. I am not going to remind them, and I'm not going to tolerate bickering. If they don't get to them quickly, it's ok, too. (It isn't really, I'm teaching them something with all of this.)
I will quietly do their chores for them, and once I begin, they are not allowed to take over. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?! Well, here's the catch. If I have to do their chores, they get to stay home. This week, it meant no homeschool group activities.
I know to many it does not sound fair that the entire family missed out on a fun day with other homeschool families. But this teaches my older children that what we do affects others. The choices we make cause others to suffer, not just ourselves.

This is causing me to suffer, in that I am doing much more of the work by myself. But I am also not taking one of the older children along to help me with the younger one's appointments this week. This means getting two little ones in and out of the carseats alone, and managing a stroller and a toddler at appointments. (Something I did when I only had two children, but it was easier back then, when I was younger.)
Why not just take a helper? Well, the one who is my usual helper feels privileged to go along, since my helper usually gets a treat from McDonald's. We usually run errands while we are out, and this often means a stop to the craft store. It also means time away from the constant activity of the house.

This is not a permanent situation. This is to get their attention. Today is Wednesday, our third day of implementing all of this. I already see signs that it will not need to be longterm. I see children going quickly and quietly to their work. I am hearing less arguing.
I will re-evaluate on Monday. If the attitudes are changing, the privileges will be re-instated.

All of this is very hard for me. I enjoy having my children go places with me, and I enjoy taking them to homeschool group, and doing things with them. I tend to feel guilty because I need the older children to help out more since the two boys were born with health problems,etc. I am really having a hard time being tough. But I know it is for their good. If there were no consequences for their actions, they would never learn.
You see, it is not so much about whether they help keep our house neat and tidy. It is about their hearts. If they do not have diligence in their hearts now, and have healthy work habits, it will affect their future. Who wants to hire someone who won't do their work, or does it carelessly? Who wants to marry someone who is contentious?
I will be relieved when my life in the shoe is back to functioning peacefully again.

No comments:

Post a Comment