Saturday, September 25, 2010

Home Alone

My husband took the older children to Hershey Park for the day. I am home "alone" with five children 9yo and younger.
This morning, when I got up, I did not think it a daunting thing, to be home with my five little ones. But as the day wore on, my feelings changed. Now, I am wondering how did I ever manage back in the days when my older children where my little ones and I had no one to help me. I don't remember feeling so busy.

Christopher has an ear infection, so that has made him more clingy. It has also made him irritable and he does not want anyone "in his space". Suddenly, all the toys in the house belong to him, or he is not happy. I will be glad when the antibiotic makes him feel better.
Trinity has been fussy, also. I think Christopher shared her toys just long enough for her to catch the grouchy bug, which includes a runny nose. No nap for her today, that would be too easy.

Seth, my 9yo, has been a big helper. He emptied the dishwasher all on his own this morning. That was a huge help, now it is ready to fill as the day progresses.

I have been trying to make a dent in the laundry pile today. This is usually a chore that belongs to one of my older girls. But I will often get them caught up if we have had a busy week and they are behind.
I also realized the apples were starting to go bad, so I baked an apple crisp. When my husband called at lunch-time, I told him not to count on any left-overs. It turned out esp. good this time.

I still have hopes of working on the diapers that I am making as a baby gift for a mom-to-be at our church. I have them all cut out, it is just a matter of having a few minutes at the machine. I love making diapers, I find it addicting and relaxing at the same time.
Before my husband left this morning, Sarah begged to stay home. She was afraid I would need her help. I reminded her that I took care of babies long before she was old enough to help me. However, I think I will be very tired by the end of this day.


Recipe for Apple Crisp *adapted for a large family

approx 12 baking apples
3/4c water

crumbs:
2 3/4c brown sugar
2 3/4 c oatmeal
3/4c flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4c butter

Preheat over to 375. Peel and slice apples into a greased 11x15 pan. Add water. Combine dry ingredients, and cut in butter til crumbley and spread evenly over apples. Bake 40-45min.
You can serve it with milk or icecream, but we like ours just as it is, while it is still nice and warm.
I always add an extra apple to accomodate the slices the children swipe out of the pan as I am peeling:)

If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment