Tuesday, October 5, 2010

At the ENT

Christopher saw the nurse practitioner at the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor's office today.
His hearing tests were not so good. There were flat lines on the graph where peaks should have been. I knew he was not hearing as well as he had been.

The tube in his right ear was out, and laying in his ear canal. The one in the left ear is in, but protruding at an odd angle. The NP thought maybe it was causing irritation and was the reason for the ear drainage.

Christopher is now on ear drops to clear up any infection that is remaining after 10 days of oral antibiotics. He goes back in 2 weeks. At that time, they will make sure the infection is all cleared up. We will also sign pre-op paperwork for more tubes to be placed in his ears.

In the meantime, I felt so sad because Christopher will be missing out on so many sounds.
We went to Joanne Fabrics on the way home. One of the ladies that work there goes to church with us. She wanted to play peek-a-boo with Christopher from a couple aisles away, and poor Christopher had no idea anyone was calling to him. He was sweetly oblivious.
We also went to the grocery store. While I was there, I had one of those moments where I felt like God had tapped me on the shoulder. This time, I am certain he was telling me I have so many things to be thankful for and should not be feeling sorry for myself.
There was a little boy in a cart with his little brother. The thing that stood out about the little boy was the big scar across the back of his head, and his scalp that was completely hairless. He was so fragile looking, and pale.

My little boy with Down syndrome, is only having his fourth set of tubes placed in his ears. This is nothing compared to what that other mother has been going through with her little boy. I had to fight the tears as I finished my shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment