Sunday, October 31, 2010

Recipes, as Promised

Our all-time favorite pumpkin recipe is:
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Preheat over to 350
Crust:
1 1/2c graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c melted butter
1/4 c sugar
Press into bottom of 9in. spring form pan, bake 6-8min. Cool 10 min.

Cheesecake:
3 eight oz pkg cream cheese
1c sugar
1/4c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 can (15oz) pumpkin (or equivalent of home processed pumpkin puree, I think it about 1 3/4- 2cups. either way won't make a lot of difference in the finished product)
2/3c evaporated milk
2T. cornstarch
1 1/4tsp. cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
Pour over crust and bake 55-6o min til set in middle, but still moves slightly.

Topping:
16oz sour cream
1/2c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pour over cheesecake and bake 5 min.


Our newer favorite:

Pumpkin Torte
Crust:
24 graham cracker sqs. crushed
1/3c sugar
1/2c butter
Press into 9x13 pan

1st layer:
2 eggs, beaten
3/4c sugar
8oz cream cheese
Pour over crust and bake at 350 for 20 min. Cool.

2nd layer:
2c pumpkin puree
3 egg yolks (hang on to those whites you'll need them later)
1/2c sugar
1/2c milk
1/2tsp. salt
1T cinnamon
Cook til thickened and then add:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin dissolved in 1/4c water
Cool. Then beat the 3 egg whites left over from earlier with 1/4c sugar and fold into pumpkin mixture.
Pour over cooled crust.
Top with Cool Whip, or sweetened whipped cream.
***Yes, I know this recipe is disgustingly rich and sweet. That is why we only make it one time a year! But believe me, your family and guests will LOVE it! it is worth the work!!


Pumpkin Pie:
1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 T. flour
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/2c sugar
1 1/2c milk
1/4 tsp salt
Mix everything except milk til well blended. Gradually pour in milk. Pour into an unbaked pie shell and sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired. Bake at 375 for 50-60 min. Makes 1 pie.

Sometimes I use Pillsbury crusts, but usually make my own from scratch. If you need a pie crust recipe let me know and I'll post mine.

I make pumpkin pie for my 2nd daughter, Allura. She likes pumpkin pie more than the cheesecake and torte. She is my skinny girl who does not enjoy rich cooking.


I hope you enjoy these recipes and maybe make one of them your new holiday traditional dessert. And, as always, if you use any of my recipes, let me know how it turns out. I will try to share some pictures of my goodies as I make them for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment