Friday, February 18, 2011

Day at the Park...in February!

Today was one of those unseasonably warm days. It was in the mid 60's. I will not complain, espe after all the ice and snow we have had.

I told the children we would go to the park today. So after doing some schoolwork, we packed up and went to enjoy the afternoon.

They played on the swings, climbed on the monkey bars, spun around on the merry-go-round. The bigger girls took a walk, and Bethany rode a skateboard.

We all took turns watching Christopher. For a while, he enjoyed swinging, while I pushed him. Then he wanted down to run and climb. He really can climmb well! He prooved that today.

At one point, while on Sarah's watch, while I was nursing Trinity, he managed to take off and climb the slide. This is one of those really high slides, at least twice as high as I am tall, so about 10-12ft. I glanced up and saw Sarah standing on the top step with him, calling for help! Bethany ran to help, and all three threatened to topple off. Bethany was finally able to get herself turned around and carry him to safety, but not without weaving and wobbling in the process.

This makes me realize we need to come up with a better plan for keeping Christopher safe when warm weather comes to stay awhile. Christopher knows no fear, so we need to help him with boundaries.

The other thing I realize today......my need for hair color has greatly increased! I must have grown a whole new crop of greys after seeing my two daughters and my little son teetering at the top of that slide!

I like my nice safe sofa, but I know that is not the best place for Christopher to learn and grow.

2 comments:

  1. My Isaiah is a no fear boy too. . . oy some moments make my mommy heart skip a beat! He's slowly learning though. It must have taken six months to teach him to go down stairs on his tummy, feet first. . . after taking only a few days with the others sometimes I wondered if he'd ever figure it out. When they don't have a fear of heights or falling at all it is SO hard.
    We've had to get one of those monkey backpacks with the leash for those times when it could be dangerous if he got away, until he's much more reliable at obedience. (Like when we went to a provincial park with cliffs and waterfalls. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are planning to get one of those monkeys for Christopher, too:) We just haven't done it yet.

    ReplyDelete