Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Mother's Day to Remember




Most of us cannot remember exactly where we were and what we were doing on each holiday. I know I cerainly cannot. But Mother's Day 2011 is an exception. I will always remember.

While most moms were waking to a lovely breakfast made especially for them by their beloved children, I was waking to a hospital room in the pediatric unit of our local hospital. Well, not exactly waking, since I had not exactly slept. I was spending the weekend of the celebration of motherhood continuing in my call of duty as a mother.

Trinity, our smallest shoe dweller was very ill. We went to the ER in the wee hours of Saturday morning, what I would generally consider the middle of the night. She had a cold and was having increased difficulty breathing. She was wheezing and struggling, and at some point became very listless and sleepy. I knew it was bad. I went prepared for a hospital admission. But I was not prepared for how bad it was to become.

Saturday night Trinity's oxygen level was very low and she needed to have a nasal canula to give her some O2. My little girl, who will barely tolerate a hat or barrette, slept through this, she did not mess with it even when she stirred in her sleep. She is also a child who does not sleep through the night, yet she slept.

Very early on Mother's Day morning the pediatrician came in to talk to me. She was concerned that Trinity was getting worse instead of better, in spite of the IV antibiotics an steroids. She was not holding her oxygen levels, she was lethargic, her oral intake was very low and her diapers very dry. She wanted to prepare me for the possibility of sending Trinity to Penn State Children's Hospital, in case she needed to be intubated, there would be a pediatric pulmonolgist available.

The pediatrician ordered another chest xray, to have a look at the progression of the pnuemonia, and started IV fluids, rather than continue with just a saline lock for meds.
When the pediatrician came in to tell me the results of the xray, she talked more about the probability of sending Trinity to the children's hospital.
I felt so helpless, so I did the first thing that came to my mind: Pray, and call our pastor before he went in for service, to have others pray!
Then I called home to my husband, to have him and the other children pray.

I felt at peace, knowing my little girl was covered in prayer and that God had it all under control. (He had it all under control before we prayed, but praying reminded me that He was in control.)

The morning wore on and my little blessing slept. My husband came in to have lunch with me in the cafeteria and to bring gifts and cards from the children. Still she slept.

About 1pm, which is soon after our second service ends, Trinity awoke. She was still week, but her oxygen levels came up. As the day wore on, she got stronger and seemed more like her usual busy little self.

That night, when the next pediatrician on duty came in, she looked at Trinity and said how good she looked. She was not seeing any of the scarey things her collegue had seen in the previous 18-24hrs. But she wanted to keep her another night to make sure she did not relapse.

Monday was a busy day. Trinity was not content to lay in the crib and watch cartoons, as they had hoped. She wanted to walk the halls and talk to other babies. The pediatrician wanted to send her home, but the only thing stopping her was Trinity was not eating. She was still nursing, but she would not eat a single bite of their food.
By Monday evening they listened to my mommy wisdom that Miss Trinity will eat when she is home with her siblings. They let us go home. Instead of being transferred to the children's hospital, we were allowed to go home!

How happy I was to be home and see my other children. How grateful and joyous I was that the Lord healed my baby girl.
God is more than faithful!!

What made Mother's Day memorable for you??

No comments:

Post a Comment