Friday, December 17, 2010

Life With Sons

I had four girls in a row before any boys came along. I remember life being much more quiet and reasonable.
I have always made Christmas cookies to share with others, and included my children in the process of baking and decorating. I realized last evening how different it is to make cookies with boys, than it was when the girls were all little.
Last evening we were decorating sour cream cut out cookies. I found myself saying odd things, such as: "don't lick the top of the cookie to smooth the icing". "If the little golden dragees fall on the floor, don't put them on the cookies. We have plenty more." "Don't put your nose on the cookies to smell them". "No, we don't want all the colored sugar mixed together". "Don't hit your brother with the icing spreader". (For those of you who recieve cookies from us, I have those cookies kept seperate, for family consumption only, not for sharing!)

The odd comments continued today. "If you put your finger in your sister's mouth, she will bite you". (This was said as Trinity chomped down on Christopher's finger, and he let out a blood curdling yell).
"Let's not put our pb&j sandwich on the Christmas tree, please." "and don't feed it to the dog either!"

Life was much more peaceful with only girls, but I have to admit, it was not as interesting and fun.

I also had some "awwwww" moments today. Josh made cards for me out of constuction paper, that said "I love you mom". He covered them with Xs and Ls, he doesn't get the it that it is supposed to be Xs and Os. But that is ok, I know what he means.
Another precious moment was when Christopher signed "Signing Time" to ask to watch the DVD of that title. He has been signing and saying many of the words he is learning from the DVD. He signs for "cat" and "dog" as he calls for our pets. He signed "tree" while we decorated our Christmas tree last night. How's that for a Christmas gift?!

1 comment:

  1. SO funny. We have 5 girls and 2 boys. All wonderful. The boys are definitely a different breed.

    Laraba

    ReplyDelete