Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cut Flowers


I love annuals for cut flower bouquets. These are from the flower bed that runs the length of my house. My favorite annuals are snap dragons. I have six different colors this summer.
When I was a young bride I did not especially care for zinnias and marigolds. But as I got older, I longed for the old fashioned look they bring to the flower beds. I plant them now, in abundance, because they are my mom's favorite, and I know it gives her pleasure to see them when she comes to visit. Her flower beds do not get as much sunshine as mine do, and zinnias love sunshine. It makes me happy to be able to give her even such a small moment of pleasure.

The lovely crystal vase you see in the picture is one we recieved as a wedding gift 24 years ago.
It is amazing what a simple handful of cut flowers, in a vase that I already own, brings so much cheer and brightness to my kitchen. Not much effort involved, and no expense.

My dad chided me for planting flowers when I no longer have a vegetable garden. He thinks I have my priorities mixed up. He does not understand the value of appreciating the beautiful things that God has created, or that life is not all about work. A home is about so much more than a place to eat meals and sleep at night.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! I want to start growing more annuals so I can cut and cut and cut. . . we have a few flowers but. . . they're not doing so well this year. ;) Yours look so gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful...you definitely have a talent for flower arranging. Not only are they beautiful, but what a ministry to have lovely flowers to give to those who need cheering!

    ReplyDelete