Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Behind the Scenes

While were at duPont Hospital with Aaron, so much was going on at our house.
Our oldest two do not live at home anymore and work full time. Our third child was at summer camp the week we left, and volenteering in the kitchen the following week at the camp. This left our 14yo daughter at home in charge of 5 children, ages 10 and under. If I were only running to the store to pick up bread and milk, this would not have been a problem. But we had no idea how long we would be gone, and it stretched into 1 1/2wks.

The night that Aaron went to duPont, our pastor came to the hospital to be with Gene and I. I found out later that his wife and daughter came to our house to be with the rest of the children.

The next day, the church sent out an email about Aaron's condition. The church was flooded with phone calls. People wanted to know how they could help! The church secretary organized a few days of meals and care for the children. At one point, they had to put a hold on the meals, our refridgerator was bursting at the seams with food. (Of course, Gene and I, and Bethany, were not home, and our biggest eater, Aaron, was not home to eat.)
When the church secretary went on vacation, she enlisted the help of one of the other ladies. This dear lady has five children of her own. Yet she spent much time at our house, mowing the lawn, doing laundry, cleaning, running errands etc. Her oldest daughter spent a couple nights to help with the children.
My children were not alone at night, married women gave up time with their husbands to sleep here on our sofa. Single young ladies gave up their own time to care for my children.
One family came and took my children to their home for the day. They rode horses, and played games. Not only were my children having their basic needs met, they were being loved, and shown fun times.

When I got home, there was a schedule, written in crayon, on my refridgerator door. It kept Sarah informed who was bringing a meal, and who was coming to spend the day and the night. Someone must have known how Sarah likes to be on top of things:) I thought it amusing that it was written in crayon, as that is often all I can find to write with in a hurry at my house.

What a blessing! I praise God for each and every person in our church family that ministered to us. Thank-you Timberline Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment