Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mom and Dad on a Diet

Gene and I decided this is the year for us to lose weight. We are both middle age, and we fear it is now or never. Our desire for weight loss is not just to look better, but to improve our health and energy levels. Face it, having a large family can take a lot of energy. We need to keep up with a lot of little bodies. We also want to be setting a better example for our children.
We are not morbidly obese, but we both have more fluff than we should. I have high blood pressure and Gene had high cholesterol. I have a strong family history of type 2 Diabetes. I know if I do not do something now, I will end up with it. Add to family history the fact that many of my children were over 8lbs, 4 were over 9lbs, and my largest was 10lbs 8oz!

In the past, Gene and I have not had a lot of success with diets. We never found one we felt we could stick with, until now.
We are on the "No *S* Diet" The "S" stands for sugar, snacks and seconds. We can eat these things on days that start with "S". The obvious ones: Saturday and Sunday, but also on "special" days, such as holidays and birthday.
We have been on this diet for 2wks. Funny thing is, we are finding we are not craving sweets like we always did. We have a peace about knowing we can have them on weekends, but so far, we have not had the desire to go overboard on our off days. It feels good to not crave sugar all the time.

I never liked to eat breakfast, I always felt like my blood sugar was crashing half way through the morning if I ate breakfast. I decided to make homemade granola, and have discovered I feel good on it. I eat less than 1 cup each morning and it holds me until lunch. Gene also likes it.

Not all has been easy. I am still nursing Trinity a good bit, so I found I was getting very hungry by bedtime. I had to make the decision to eat something before bedtime. I eat plain Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of granola on the nights I feel hungry.

One of my big pet peeves about food is many things we thought were healthy contain high fructose corn syrup. Even some yogurts contain it! Many salad dressings contain it, too. We are trying to avoid these products.

Gene has not told me if he has lost any weight yet.
I have lost about 6 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment