Sunday, January 30, 2011

Yet I will rejoice

Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no foods, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Saviour.
Habakkuk 3:17-18

I have been convicted by this verse recently. How many times have I complained when the bank account was empty, or I was out of the ingredients to make certain recipes? I tend to be the "glass is half empty" type of person, when I should be "my cup is running over" because of all the blessings the Lord has given me.

The verses in Habakkuk listed the things that would have, at that time, indicated wealth. Figs, grapes, olives, sheep, cattle. These things meant provision for one's family. Yet the prophet was saying that even in the absense of all the outward trappings of prosperity, he would praise the Lord, he would be joyful.

We live in a nation that is prosperous, even during the recession, we have plenty compared to other nations. When I watch the evening news and see how the people in Haiti are living I am humbled. They have none of the things that even the poorer people here in the US would have. Even fresh water would be a luxury for them. Yet we are a nation of ingratitude and complaining.

I am going to make it a point to rejoice in the Lord, and be joyful in God my Saviour, for all the blessings he has so graciously given me. Even during the times when I don't feel especially blessed, my heart's desire is to still praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment