Monday, May 31, 2010

Another day of Canning

I canned another 20 quarts of cherries today. We have a few more out there. If it is raining tomorrow, we might let the birds have the rest.
I also canned 7 pints of rhubarb jam. I used a different recipe this yr, which does not contain strawberry jello. My jam looks like honey. I am eager to bake some bread and slather it with some homemade jam! Mmm Mm! Rhubarb jam does take a lot of sugar. But at least it does not contain high fructose corn syrup, like most commercial jams and jellies.

I also thought I would try bulk Dutch gel, instead of the little packets of Sure Jell. So far, it looks like it will set up the same. It is so much cheaper to buy it in bulk. Those little packets almost make homemade jam not cost effective.

I will try to post some pics of my finished products tomorrow.

I still have sick little boys. My 5 yo may be going to the doctor tomorrow. We are having a hard time getting him to drink enough to comensate for his fever and the hot weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment