Sunday, May 30, 2010

What a Weekend

Yesterday was such a pleasant day. The girls and I went to the annual Large Family Picnic. My boys were still under the weather, so they stayed home. It was rather nice to not have to chase all the little boys. I could actually have a conversation without running off after someone and having no idea what I had been talking about. I would have rather had them healthy though.

I got to connect with another mom I had not seen in years. The last time I saw her, she only had 3 children and I "only" had six. I still think of her as a young mom, barely past the newlywed season:) Yet, in reality, she is an experienced mom with a lot of wisdom to offer new moms.

I got to meet some of the moms I am friends with on an online support site called momys. Momys is an acronym for Mothers Of Many Young Siblings.
What a blessing it was to spend time with like-minded women. It is great "talking" to these women online, but to spend an afternoon of fellowship was wonderful!


While I was fellowshipping, and then shopping with my girls, Gene was home with the boys. After the nappers went off to bed, he spent the afternoon picking cherries from our lone cherry tree behind our garage.

Today, after church, I started on pitting and canning cherries. So far, I have 14 quarts! I still have at least that many in the laundryroom refridgerator, and that many still on the tree. Cherry cobbler and pie will taste so good this winter!

After I got done canning, and the jars were lined up on my counter, I enjoyed the pinging sound they make as the lids seal. I remember canning with my mom and she would always get so excited about the sound. Funny how it seemed silly back then, now I know it is a special kind of music. When I shared this with my 18yo daughter, she thought I was being silly. Some day, she will understand. She assures me she will not be canning, seems pointless to her.

After canning, we ate cake and icecream, to celebrate one of my son's birthday. He was 7 yesterday. He was not up to eating cake yesterday. We gave him a parachute man, a pirate ship kit, and a geode. When he opened his gifts, he thought we gave him a rock. He is eager to see if his geode is filled with crystals, like the ones his brothers broke open for science class.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog. Funny thing!! I canned strawberry jam this year for the first time and I was SO excited when I took them out of the bath and they ALL pinged in less than a few minutes. I went into it canning jelly for the long-term but figuring I'd wind up with freezer jelly if I did it wrong. Glad I heard the ping!

    ReplyDelete