Thursday, July 29, 2010

Homeschool Snobbery

Last Sunday, our pastor spoke on James chapter 2, which talks about favortism. He pointed out different areas in which we can be snobs. We can be social snobs, spiritual snobs, financial snobs.
He failed to mention homeschool snobs.
Those who have been around the homeschool community for any length of time know what I am referring to.
Some homeschoolers seem to think they are better than other homeschoolers because they do certain things a certain way, or use a certain curriculum.
Some examples of homeschool snobbery:
I only use xyz curriculum.
I only use text books and have school at home.
I only use the Charlotte Mason approach.
Unit studies are the best.
We get all 180 days in by April.
We homeschool year round.
My child could read by age 4.
My child graduated at age 15.
I grow all my own food, make my own clothes, bake everything from scratch, bake my own bread, grind my own wheat,etc.
I homeschool, homebirth, work at home, home church, etc.

There is nothing wrong with any of these things. But doing them will not buy you favor with God, and not doing them will not cause God to turn his face away from us. God cares about our hearts. If we are doing these things out of pride and vain glory, we are missing the mark. If we place those who do these things in a place of honor, yet snub our noses at those who don't, then we are showing favortism. We elevate all the good things about homeschooling to a place of idolatry, and those who do them become our gods.

If you enjoy doing all the things I listed, that is fine. But in doing them, lets make certain we are not putting pressure on others and setting goals for them when we have no authority to do so. Let's be certain we do not belittle those who cannot perform to our expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment