Thursday, July 29, 2010

More on Josh's eye

The new drops for Josh's eye caused him to be extremely sleepy. So much so, that we could move him around and put him in various poses without him waking. The pediatric ophthalmalogist wanted us to call him if they made him drowsy. Well, drowsy was an extreme understatement.
The ped. ophth. ordered a different eye drop. When I picked it up, I read on the package insert that it could, over time, cause increased pigment of the iris and the eye lid.

He has brown eyes, so I was not concerned about how the increased pigment of the iris would look. But I was concerned about how darkening of the eye lid would look. If just a bit dark, no problem, but I kept envisioning darkening that looks like a birth mark.
I contacted our doctor. I told them I know I sound petty, since we are dealing with potential loss of vision. But his affected eye already looks different, and my hope is for as close to normal vision as possible, with as close to normal appearance as possible.
The doctor told me he is running out of options. The origanal medication was losing its effectiveness, then 2nd medication made him too drowsy. There just are not too many options, as far as medication, for Josh.
My heart is heavy. I know that the new medication will most likely lose its ability to control Josh's eye pressure before we have to worry about it causing pigment changes. When that happens, then we will be looking at more surgery. It breaks my heart that there is so little that can be done for my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment