Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Saga Continues

Josh, my 5yo with PHPV, was seen by the pediatric ophthalmologist yesterday.
His eye pressure is creeping up again, which indicates the Cosopt drops are not working as well. We knew this was going to happen. The ped. ophth. warned us when Josh was diagnosed with aphakic glaucoma that the drops would lose their effectiveness over time. Now he will be getting another drop, as well as continuing with Cosopt.
Josh is amazing. I am certain none of my other children would sit patiently on the big chair while the doctor tapped their eyes with the tonopen. I would have a hard time with this myself. But Josh sits there and is so brave. As long as they give him Hershey Kisses afterward, he will do just about anything.

The appt was not all bad news. Josh's vision in his affected eye is now 20/50 with correction. The doc said typically you will have about 20/100 with correction in an eye with PHPV. One would expect possibly less than this, since Josh has had so many complications and surgeries. God is good!
The doctor attributed Josh's good vision to God looking out for him and to me, for persisting with the daily patching. I think it is God blessing Josh's hard work with daily patching.

We go back in 6 wks to see how the new medication is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment